Going Green Without Swearing Off Modern Living!
Come on, admit it. When you hear the phrase “going green” you instantly imagine the hardships of what that entails.
Heck, even I used to…and I’m Mr. Murph!!!!
I thought it meant growing my own fruits and veggies and peddling a bike to generate enough energy to watch Jeopardy. It was the enormity of the task that kept me from doing it because I thought it meant completely changing my lifestyle.
But, then I realized that there many simple ways I could lead a more enviro-friendly life…small stuff I could do without installing solar panels or sweating to Alex Trabek.
Here are just a few of them:
• Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. If reducing the impact of waste is the name of the game, then be sure to follow the 3 R’s. That involves knowing how much you use, reusing it when you can, and buying products that are biodegradeable.
• Go Low Energy. That means looking for low energy products such as light bulbs, dishwashers, and washing machines to purchase. Most will have the Energy Star approval seal, so it’s easy to do and can make a big difference in savings.
• Turn Off Electrical Products. Things that use electricity can also waste a ton of energy. The best thing to do is make sure they’re turned off when not in use and even invest in an automatic system that does the job for you. Who said you had to give up convenience?
• Buy Local. When you buy locally, you’re reducing your carbon footprint. Not only are local items fresher, they haven’t been transported across country to reach you…less fuel, less impact.
• Insulate. Great idea for saving money and saving energy. Anyway you can block energy from escaping your home is a big benefit in more ways than one.
• Get Involved. Be sure to support community initiatives and share the message of green living. There are a lot of community programs springing up, so be sure to get involved and make a difference.
Remember, going green doesn’t have to mean you swear off modern living. These steps can be done by anybody and can have a far reaching effect on your life and the environment.